updated: 1/04/10 |
thurston moore | northampton wools
1) John Olson and Khristopher Reinshagen duo in the basement of some pad in
Detroit. You'd think these midwest noise gods would be tearing holes in the
universal fabric, but Olson played sweet-weird reeds and Khrust was like
hitting tiny rusted metal objects and scrunching small chains in his fist.
It was the audience that supplied the high-decibel chaos shouting and
chanting whatever insanity came through their minds at the performers as
they worked some kind of dada bizarro magik. Beer everywhere. And then
upstairs Olson appears (twin?) playing crunked ipod mix with andrew coltrane
and some other dudes with their shirts off slow-gunk-dancing around an
upturned fan (middle of summer) while the girls sat on the couch "enjoying"
2) Cold Cave at Terminal 5, NYC -- the current lineup of wes, caralee and
dominick is straight up mesmerizing, sexy and the best love song lyric scene
Jesus Lizard at Irving Plaza and Awesome Color at Glasslands - missed
both of these gigs but heard they were phenomenal with Jesus Lizard
completely scorching from moment one and Yow pronouncing "thank you, you'll
never see us again" - best end of gig line ever -- and Awesome Color
creating a sick slampit stagedive fest at Glasslands which I KNOW must've
been hotter than hell. Oh well.
Leslie Keffer and Thurston Moore in Nashville, summertime -- I only list
this because I got to smash my guitar in Leslies face only to have her
wrestle me to my back and strangle me while some weird, drunken bearded dude
knelt down and yelled in my ear "dude 100% is like the greatest jam ever!!"
Talk Normal at Hampshire College Tavern --- sarah register playing
hell-gate guitar -- if you need new guitar hero go see the TN -- ruling.
Iggy & The Stooges in Rio, Brazil --- 1st Raw power set w/ Williamson --
as cool as it looks on you tube - coolest thing was they did "night theme"
Okkyung Lee & Carlos Giffoni duo at Glasslands, Bklyn --- for some reason
I didn't think this would work, thought maybe Carlos would decimate
Okkyung's string action with pulverizing computer kill, but he
was...sensitive...and these two hit a sincere cosmic high - happening.
Jonathan borges | pedestrian deposit
'you had to be there;' in chronological order // many omitted and forgotten:
1) aaron dilloway @ the smell, los angeles; 3.14.09
2) earn @ america, baltimore md; 5.10.09
3) jazzfinger @ no fun fest, williamsburg brooklyn; 5.17.09
4) grasslung @ echo curio, los angeles; 8.9.09
5) outer space @ grog shop, cleveland oh; 9.1.09
6) fielded @ the mopery, chicago il; 9.4.09
7) work / death @ the lodge, san luis obispo ca; 10.25.09
8) rene hell @ the smell, los angeles; 11.5.09
9) talk normal @ the smell, los angeles; 11.14.09
10) james ferraro @ the smell, los angeles; 12.12.09
Michael Troutman | Awesome Color
1) Glass Rock & Birdlaw @ Glasslands, Brooklyn, NY
2) Hive Mind, Red Dawn II & Slither @ LJ's, Detroit, MI
3) Dinosaur, Jr. @ Higher Ground, Burlington, VT
4) G. Lucas Crane, Century Plants, Beach Fuzz, Chris Forsyth & Driphouse @ Silent Barn, Ridgewood, NY
5) Sonic Youth @ Fox Theatre, Oakland, CA
6) Druid Perfume & Freedom @ Now That's Class, Cleveland, OH
7) Aaron Dilloway & John Olson @ Brian's lake house, Brighton, MI
8) Sightings @ Less Artists More Condos, Manhattan, NY w/ Glenn Branca heckling
These two were in the last months of 2008 but they were so good, I was still thinking about them well into 2009...
9) Kan Mikami @ SMAK Museum, Ghent, Belgium
10) France @ Helbaard (church space), Den Haag, Netherlands
Carrie Brownstein | NPR's Monitor Mix
1) Lightning Dust | Bowery Ballroom | NYC
2) Sonic Youth | Terminal 5 | NYC
3) Quasi | Doug Fir | Portland
4) Viv Albertine & Raincoats | Knitting Factory | Brooklyn
5) Dark Was The Night | Radio City Music Hall | NYC
6) Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks | Doug Fir | Portland
7) Crystal Stilts | Emo's Jr. | Austin
8) Telekinesis | Doug Fir | Portland
9) Pancake Breakfast | Mississippi Studios | Portland
10) Marianne Faithfull | Town Hall | NYC
Sam Gas Can | Faux-Pas Recordings
1)8.15.09 - Big Kids @ People's Pint, Greenfield, MA
2)4.4.09 - Quincy Quartz @ the Bear Cave, Turners Falls, MA
3)1.3.09 - the Dungeoneers @ Distant Castle, Worcester, MA
4)9.19.09 - Sord @ OSR H.Q., Turners Falls, MA
5)12.5.09 - Ambergris @ Death by Audio, Williamsburg, NY
6)10.25.09 - Fat Worm of Error (w/ Bryan Grabigel) @ the Elevens, Northampton, MA
7)12.11.09 - Caring Babies @ Bonnyvale Center, Brattleboro, VT
8)3.27.09 - Heat Wilson @ Weird Diner, Bloomfield, CT
9)3.21.09 - Weirding Module @ Cake Shop, Brooklyn, NY
10)7.12.09 - Fleabag @ Distant Castle, Worcester, MA
Vice Cooler | xbxrx/ hawnay troof/ kit/ raincoats/ chicks on speed )
1)NO BABIES @ apgar house, oakland. They r a six piece and KILLLLLLLLIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG it. everyone will be tripping out on them soon.
2) BANG BANG @ K4 in Germany. New teen spazz freak out from new zealand. i think djing will not be cool again in the next 2 yrs.
3) SNOWSUIT* @ smell + apgar - back killin thee game
4) GUNS N BROSES @ 21 grand, oakland.- members of foot village + freinds forever totally DESTROYING gnr songs. its pretty appropriate and has a bunch of pool squeegies?!?!
5) PEACHES @ SF. Some dummy was trying to finger her in turn she totally flattened a 58 on a dudes head + the live band is fucking unbelievable + i have brought a lot of skeptics recently to see her play and theyve all been won over. its fucking on TOP atm! OH her encore is played ONLY W LASERS!
6) SSION @ the filmore, sf. Its really being pushed next level w sensory overload! my predictions r its the new david bowie but you wont know this until 4 yrs from now b/c you missed out on the first decade plus of it.
7) VIV ALBERTINE on tour. She opened for the raincoats on all of our shows cept one. its def onto something really honest and rad. im really curious what her next record will sound like. it kind of reminds me of barr in a way, w its intensity.
8) EXPLODE INTO COLORS @ holocene, pdx --- the hype was def worth it! powerful.
9) YACHT @ rickshaw stop, sf. we were all kinda like "wtf, when did THIS happen?!?!" after yrs of seeing it in different forms, usually playing to no one, it was a incredible to see them flipping out a sold out room and using their iphones for projection.
10) UTR showcases in oakland + sf. chris + claire from Upset The Rhythm have really created a major centerpoint for a majority of those i find interesting in the current music scene. their showscases included Foot Village, Death Sentence: Panda, Gowns, Lucky Dragons, The Urxed, KIT, TITS, Former Ghosts. Its great realising at shows like this that its all more than art + music: its family.
Begin forwarded message:
Jon Lorenz| Wasteland Jazz Unit, Art Damage Lodge
1) Keiji Haino/ Tony Conrad @ Empty Bottle, Chicago
2) Wolf Eyes @ the Void, Lexington (partial karoake weirdness╩"Back in Black" Encore)
3) Trauma @ Eyedrum (DAM FEST), Atlanta
4) Baronic Wall @ Art Damage Lodge, Cincinnati
5) Puffy Areolas @ Art Damage Lodge, Cincinnati
6) Faust @ Boomslang, Lexington
7) Jon Mueller @ Art Damage Lodge, Cincinnati
8) Caboladies @ Boomslang, Lexington
9) Pedestrian Deposit╩@ Art Damage Lodge, Cincinnati
10) Caroliner Rainbow @ Some Warehouse (?), Chicago
1) Leonard Cohen at the Tower Theater, Philadelphia Oct.╩Years of anticipation paid off. The pricey tickets meant a Zombie Liberal Boomer crowd which left a bit to be desired, at least when they needed to be "seated" where I was "sitting" without a "ticket", or else when they (almost all)started╩singing along with "So Long Mary Ann". But even those feel-gooders couldn't ruin this experience for me. The exact opposite of Dylan, but equally intense. At 75 yrs, Leonard Cohen has got 75 times as much energy onstage as i do. God Bless him!
╩╩╩ After #1, the rest are NPO:
2) Awesome Color at 31st St Pub, Pittsburgh, Killing it. Killing it. I have it on Good Authority that they made some new fans that night as well.
3) Anita Fix at the Elks Club, Braddock PA. A few months after Braddock's "Mayor John" popped up in "Rolling Stone" and on cable news outlets, I was honored to watch Alan Lewandowski once again convert followers to his extremist cause. No joke this man would not only hold his own in a room with Dylan & Cohen, he looks better in a dress too...or in found panties ("they smelled fresh" he told his followers after the show)
4) Robotic Hands of God, , Manny's Shithole, Pgh. This Dreadnots offshoot will make you question yr Faith.
5) James Harrison's 100-yard Interception Return, Superbowl XLIII. A thing of beauty to behold.
6) Dead at 24, Anytime they deigned to play. With new vinyl out after a decade away, Rickety Rockers the Dead came back like Jesus╩to teach us before the aughts ended just to remind us all why the 90's didn't really suck as much as we've been conditioned to believe. SEE THEM IN '10!
7) Raw Blow. Howler's Cafe, Pgh PA. Don't act like you don't know. Debut 7" coming soon.
8) BRAHLOWEEN 5: All. Night. Long.
9) Maxime Talbot "Shhhh"-ushes the Flyers in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Momentum-changing moment that encapsulated why a lot of people love this guy. And we all know how the series ended.
10) All the Great Shows I Missed, including tonight's...
Alex Moskos | Drainolith/AIDS Wolf/Thames)
Moth Cock/Outerspace/S. Goldberg/Rot Ton Bone @ The Embassy╩ true synth madness. Cleveland Synth Barons... wtf guys? Dec
Olson-Olson-Connelly trio/Body Morphy/Hive Mnd/some amazing dude on violin/Frying Pan matinÄ + post gig michi privates/FBC haul Lansing Dec
US Girls floating in the sky bridge over Austin, SXSW Mar
Sightings @ Friendship Cove Montreal, only the older gods remained, even the most bent kids couldn't follow Oct
Jessica Mensch/Emily Pelstring Abortion Spa performance last hurrah CafÄ ClÄopatre St. Lo and St. Cathies RIP Oct
Jesus Lizard, Le National Mtl. Yeah, suprised? No. Nov
Cotton Museum/Sick Llama Cool Fest Montreal, Thanks Blakers, Dec
Hiroshima Thunder (AIDS Wolf drummer) solo Pirates of the Lachine Canal rip holy hell new hole in Mile End gig
Alexandre St-Onge, solo midi steam bath fucking weirdo walk outside the backdoor move/ CKUT Montreal benefit Oct
Monkey King/Will $Bill Glass duo Zoobizzare Montreal, Oct
Bruce W. Siart | sidemouse.com / brucesiart.com:
Well... surgery & recovery kept me out of the loop for most of the year.
I only got to see 2 shows in 2009... 2010 should be better.
1) Dinosaur Jr / Lou Barlow & the Missingmen @ the Middle East 10/3/2009
2) Angry Johnny & the Killbillies @ Ralph's 9/26/2009
acid mother's temple @ sala rosa, mtl
bloodshot bill @ everywhere, montreal
dat politics @ zoobizarre, mtl
awesome color @ il motore, mtl
tindersticks @ la tulipe, mtl
black feelings @ sala rosa, mtl
daddy-o! @ grumpy's, falmouth
talk normal @ lab synthese, mtl; hemlock, sf
weirding module @ 11s, noho
russian tsarlag @ media mansion, noho
mi ami @ bottom of the hill, sf
outrageous cherry @ knockout, sf
moon duo @ hemlock, sf
flipper @ annie's social club, sf
frisco freakout 2 @ parkside, sf
stellar om source @ zoobizarre, mtl
quintron & miss pussycat @ club lambi, mtl
pearl harbor @ spaceland, la
reines d'angleterre @ sala rosa, mtl
caroliner @ the lab, sf
ovo @ hemlock, sf
sea lions @ knockout, sf
cold cave @ knockout, sf; bottom of the hill, sf
yomul yuk @ lab synthese, mtl
dennischh tyfuschhh | Ultra Eczema
1) charlemagne palestine at the filmfestival in knokke!
(a ton of teddybears, pants down, screaming, and a lot of scarfs)
2) peter fengler at bruismelk festival at scheldapen in antwerp!
(handcut records, a magician performance and deadbeat jokes, my face still hurts from the terminal smile pf forced it into on that night)
3) brew abuse at lieven's festival in graz! and monopoly child star searchers at the same spot!
(aka carlo putting a bunch of full and unopened beercans in a microwave and cranking it open! someone stopped the show, everyone threw beer at him.. spencer's monopoly set was like dance music with " people dancing in a giant museum for parrots)
4) wolf eyes and hair police at no fun sweden!
(craziest pit during wolf eyes when some guy slitting his troat with a broken bottle, + weirdest glamrock hair police set ever with trevor climbing the ceiling, equally amazing was touring with HP and especially their antwerp show at scheldapen where 6 girls got naked for some reason)
5) anton bruhin at worm in rotterdam
(weird and amazing!)
6) jacques beloeil at de entracte night, witte zaal in ghent
(a white gallery like space filled with smoke and loud synth/casio electronics and off beats, + a fire alarm that confused everyone, thinking it was a synth, then the firemen ran in and they were confused a bunch of weirdos were just hanging out relaxed in the smoke..)
7) the all night long la bamba night at scheldapen
8) scott foust at cinema zuid
(not many people liked it though scott referred to the performance part as "the longest half hour in showbizz", and thats without the 70 minutes long film that was played as well!)
9) idm theft able at a treehouse in the woods of mechelen somewhere
(in the middle of nowhere, a all acoustic sound poetry set with this kind man drawing what he was doing at the same time he was doing 45 other things or something..)
10) timo van luyck and frederik croene at some church in ghent
(a beautiful instalation of broken or rebuilt piano's and other instruments played with the sort of gentleness that makes you wanne stop breathiing)
+ favorite exhibtions: tal r at cac in malaga, sensational fix anywhere, mapping the studio in venice, vaast colson at kiosk, raveel museum, guy rombouts anywhere, the films of rene magritte and louis scuttenaire, heini obst at scheldapen etc
Keith Wood | Hush Arbors
in no particular order-
Jack Rose & the Black Twig Pickers- London- Cafe Oto
Jason Ajemian(solo) - Brooklyn - Sycamore Bar
Sleep(2X) - ATP - Minehead
Six Organs of Admittance - London - Bush Hall
Dinosaur Jr - London - Koko
Sonic Youth - London - The Scala
Woods - London (2X)
Mike Bones- London- Luminaire
Sleepy Doug Shaw - London - Luminaire
Matt Krefting - Rongo's- Brattleboro
Greg Kelley | nmperign, Heathen Shame
1) Throbbing Gristle, Grand Regency Ballroom, San Francisco CA 4/23/09
2) Flipper, El Rio, San Francisco CA 4/25/09
3) Midnight, AS220, Providence RI 5/2/09
4) Alva Noto, Middlesex, Cambridge MA 6/4/09
5) Volahn & Bone Awl, O'Brien's Pub, Allston MA 6/15/09
6) Don Rickles & Joan Rivers, Foxwoods, Ledyard, CT 7/3/09
7) AC/DC & Anvil, Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA 7/28/09
8) Halflings, Jacques Underground, Boston MA 8/8/09
9) KISS, TD Banknorth Garden, Boston MA 10/5/09
10) St. Vitus, The Palladium, Worcester MA 10/17/09
11) John Tilbury & Peter Brotzmann/Toshinori Kondo/Massimo Pupillo/Paal Nilssen-Love, Festival Densites, Fresnes-en-Woevre France 10/24/09
12) Sons of God, MassArt, Boston MA 11/6/09
13) Consumer Electronics, O'Brien's Pub, Allston MA 11/8/09
14) DJ Scottie B, Good Life, Boston MA 12/12/09
Bryan Grabigel | WMUA
1) The Jesus Lizard
3) Box Elders
4) Gary War
5) Flaming Dragons of Middle Earth
6) Parts and Labor
7) Nace Nomads
9) Times New Viking
10) Hallelujah The Hills
David Russell | A Soundesign Recording / Jerk / Relentless Corpse
I got to see Uneven Universe and Burial Hex twice each this year in
Chicago, both acts are on the next level, some of my favorite music
this year. But the real treat of '09 for me was seeing Nate Young four
times in Ohio as both Hatred and Regression. Nate's recent sets are
exactly where my mind is at.
Solid first time performances from Mark Solotroff's Anatomy Of Habit
and Nightmares, and classic BLOODYMINDED at Matchitehew in Chicago.
Inspiring free music from Han Bennink, playing solo at Corbett vs.
Dempsey Gallery in Chicago. Evan Parker & Ned Rothenberg at Fairchild
Chapel in Oberlin. J Guy Laughlin, Tiger Hatchery and Wasteland Jazz
Unit all over the midwest.
Exceptional Chicago shows from: ONO and Travis solo, Oakeater and
Valhon at Matchitehew, Sightings at The Mopery, Throbbing Gristle and
Emeralds at Logan Sq. Auditorium. But the one that moved me the most
was Halflings at The Empty Bottle, intense, I had no idea.
Ohio: Caroliner in Oberlin was just incredible. My favorite band right
now is a toss up, Kent's Moth Cock and Cleveland scummers Dead Peasant
Insurance, both consistantly solid this year.
Top Ten Live Performances of 2009:
1) Flowers-Corsano Duo @ Elevens (Nov?) - holy shit! still processing this.
2) Sunburned Hand of the Man @ Elevens Sept 22 - that's a lot of folks on
3) "Eddy the Mechanic in Natick Ma " -(my car breaks down one night on the
Mass Pike - towed to this garage in Natick Ma where the Lebanese mechanic,
after staying late and fixing my car- pulls a hand drum off the shelf and
for 20 minutes has me transfixed by his mastery of the instrument)
4) Bob Evans @ Maxwell's Hoboken NJ in June - some locked shit back in the
5) Anything that I witnessed Blueberry Honey Studios in Brattleboro!
6) Graveyards @ Elevens
Christina Carter - Charalambides/Scorces
1) Axemen/Broken Neck/Austin
2) Blues Control/Mohawk/Austin
3) Jandek/All Venues/Northern Ireland
4) Metal Rouge/COTFG/Austin
6) Ray Price/One World/Austin
8) Rick Bishop/Mohawk/Austin
9) US Girls/Soho/Austin
0) Venison Whirled/Testsite/Austin
1) Chris Dooley solo - Amherst MA. usa March 09 - - - at Mystery Train
2) Noize Nomads / PAK / Bill Nace 1-29-09 Florence MA. usa
American Legion Hall
3) Ralph White solo - Amherst MA. usa March 09 --- at Mystery Train
4) Thurston Moore / Mats Gustavson - 1-29-09 Florence MA usa
at - American Legion Hall
5) Magic Markers - 1-29-09 Florence MA. usa . American Legion Hall
Sei Jin Lee
(1) Boris performing Feedbacker and Oneida's Ocropolis at ATP/NY
(2) Thee Oh Sees/Fresh&Onlys/CoCoComa at Schubas - Chicago
(3) Superchunk & the 3Ds at Merge XX - Cat's Cradle
(4) Vic Chesnutt w/Elf Power at the Empty Bottle - Chicago
(5) Blank Dogs, Woods at Cobra Lounge - Chicago
(6) Paul Collins Beat, Gentleman Jesse at Beat Kitchen - Chicago
(7) Frightened Rabbit at the Empty Bottle
(8) Ponytail at Schubas
(9) Mt Eerie at Lakeshore Theater - Chicago
(10) Fiery Furnaces and Double Dagger at the Hideout - Chicago
Gerry Stumbaugh / Saint Rose Records
1) Victims Family (Petaluma, CA)
2) Sonic Youth (Oakland, CA)
3) Triclops! (SF, CA)
4) The Jesus Lizard (SF)
5) Dusty Rhodes & The River Band (Santa Rosa, CA)
6) Dinosaur Jr (SF, CA)
7) Emily Jane White (Oakland, CA)
8) Nomeansno (Sacramento, CA)
9) Mike Watt (Sacramento, CA)
10) Levator (Santa Rosa, CA)
SL | citybirches photography works
1) chad vangaalen @magnet
2) health @berlinfestival
3) deerhunter @festsaal xberg
4) early day miners @nbi
5) yo la tengo @babylon
6) mudhoney @festsaal xberg
7) tiny vipers @schokoladen
8) tortoise @columbia club
9) lambchop @zitadelle
10) dinosaur jr. @astra
Heather | Tiller
Meg Baird @ Transfigurations / Asheville, NC
Lotus Birth/Infinite Light
(1a) Alberorovesciato, frenetic, feral sardinian meets bologna percussiveee, brave enough to eat hull's pizza.
(aa1) Hunter Gracchus live in Hull, boathouse, hanging in the air psyched-out, instrument swapping, drums, viola, guitar, zone out.
(b7) Bridget Hayden, playing pre war blues in salford, quiet english haunted reverb, self-playing phaser, and contact microphoned axe, one could hear a pin drop.
(9o) The Family Elan, salford, psyched turkish moods with wild phased saz over distorted tapes, and accompanied by sister singing greek folk-hymns to hashish.
(75x) Ross Parfitt in Sheffield.
(6x) The saxophone of Rafael Romero in Barcelona.
(0h) Peace on Earth in Paris.
(6y) Chora quintet in Salford.
(8aa-i) A folk, old man, busker in Tarragona.
(9h) A saw player in Koln.
(3u) Francesco Cavaliere & Seiji Morimoto in Prague.
(7o) Potato and Saurkraut soup in Vienna.
1) Sonic Youth, Minehead, England
2) My Bloody Valentine, Minehead, England
3) The Specials, Dublin, Ireland
4) Nick Cave, London, England
5) Spiritualized, London, England
6) The Jesus Lizard, Minehead, England
7) Sleep, Minehead, England
8) Shearwater, Minehead, England
9) Earth, Belfast, N. Ireland
10) Spectrum, Minehead, England
1)Dinosaur Jr. and Mike Watt at The Chameleon
2)A Place to Bury Strangers at Siren Festival
3) Brian Jonestown Massacre at Trocadero
4) Grant Hart at Johnny Brendas
5) X at World Cafe Live
6)Social Distortion at House of Blues
7)PJ Harvey at the Trocadero
8) Pearl Jam and Bad Religion at The Spectrum
9)Bob Mould with Dino Jr. at TLA
10)U2 at Giant Stadium
Konrad Jandavs | pizza lover
1) Blues Control, Little Mountain Studios, Vancouver BC
2) Twin Crystals (Vancouver), Music Waste Fest, Vancouver
3) Sic Alps / Oh Sees, Funhouse, Seattle, WA
4) Tyvek / B-Lines / Nu Sensae, Alf House, Vancouver
5) Solars (Vancouver), anywhere/anytime
6) Fresh & Onlys / Sex Church, Pat's Pub, Vancouver
7) The Bloggers (Vancouver), Final Show, Hoko's, Vancouver
8) Woods, Venue, Vancouver
9) Barn Owl, Little Mountain Studios, Vancouver
10) Om, The Biltmore, Vancouver
Begin forwarded message:
From: Brian Turner
Date: December 22, 2009 11:52:28 PM EST
Subject: Top 10 performance poll
James Picardi | Baylies Band/Horserotorvator
1.) Sword Heaven at Voice of the Valley Fest in West Virginia
2.) Animal Collective/ Grouper at House of Blues in Boston
3.) Sonic Youth at the Wilbur Theater in Boston
4.) was the thurston/corsano/nace/gustafsson gig at the middle east in boston this year?
did that even happen? so confused...
5.) corsano/flower duo at nom d'artiste in Boston (that definitely happened...still pumped from that one)
6.) playing with concord ballet orchestra players in Providence at Sweatshop...that was some fun.
7.) Mike Mountain/Baylies Band/That One Guy at club hell in Providence
can't remember anything else...
Sarah Lipstate | Noveller
1) The Jesus Lizard - Irving Plaza - 11/16
2) Talk Normal - Bruar Falls - 8/28
3) Thrones - No Fun Fest Brooklyn - 5/15
4) Emeralds - Lygten Station - 9/21
5) Gowns - Cake Shop - 9/11
6) Nate Young - BLA - 9/16
7) Testicle Hazard - No Fun Fest Sweden
8) Wolf Eyes - No Fun Fest Sweden
9) Maja Ratkje - Podium - 6/16
10) Prurient + Kevin Drumm - No Fun Fest Brooklyn - 5/17
Dave Martin | Matador Direct
1) Jesus Lizard - Filmore @ Irving Plaza NYC both shows November '09
2) Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments @ Bell House Brooklyn June '09
3) Kim Phuc @ the Brillobox Pittsburgh November '09
4) Blues Control @ the Silent Barn Queens ? '09
5) Liquor Store @ Silent Barn & Don Pedro's ? '09
6) Unnatural Helpers @ Silent Barn Queens October '09
7) Thomas Function @ Silent Barn Queens September '09
8) Idle Times @ Don Pedro's Brooklyn October '09
9) White Mystery @ Permanent Records Brooklyn June '09
10) Rot Shit & Baby Bird @ the Totally Wired Fest @ Belvedere's Pittsburgh April '09
Pascal Hector | Meudiademorte Records / Datashock / Elfenbeinturm
Polly Shang Kuan Band & F. Ampism / Dylan Nyoukis / Dan Spicer Collab @
West Hill Hall, Brighton
Blue Sabbath Black Fiji @ The Miller, London
Neil Davidson & Fritz Welch duo @ Captains Rest, Glasgow
Heads of Wantastiqued @ Walpodenakademie, Mainz
Fyoelk @ Das Modul, Saarbruecken
Ducktails & Black Joker Nightlife Band @ Wagon, Offenbach
Sun Araw @ Oetinger Villa, Darmstadt
The Paper Hats @ Bookstore, Frankfurt
Glass Candy & Desire @ Ex Haus Trier
Stellar Om Source & Marc McGuire @ Institut fuer neue Medien, Frankfurt
Samara Lubelski & Kuupuu & Inca Ore @ Oetinger Villa, Darmstadt
Lars Gotrich | Thor's Rubber Hammer Owner
1) Margarida Garcia, bass; Hans Grusel, electronics; Paul Neidhardt, percussion, friction; Morten Olsen, drums; Raed Yassin, bass @ High Zero Festival, Baltimore, Md. 9/12
2) Sunn O))) @ Sonar, Baltimore, Md. 9/23
3) Wagner's Goetterdaemmerung @ Kennedy Center Opera House, Washington, D.C. 11/15
4) Chris Schlarb 'Twilight & Ghost Stories' Ensemble @ The Stone, NYC 2/7
5) Frodus @ Murky Coffee, Arlington, Va. 3/18
6) Down, Melvins @ Sonar, Baltimore, Md. 9/8
7) Krallice @ Gallery 5, Richmond, Va. 5/29
8) Hammers of Misfortune/Ludicra @ DC9, Washington, D.C. 8/13
9) Blues Control @ Kansas House, Arlington, Va. 5/15
10) Digital Primitives @ @ Contradance, Takoma Park, Md. 10/4
Enright | MSU
Puffy Areolas playing with Tyvek and Awesome Color at the Lager House in Detroit, January 8th.
1) Black Elf Speaks, trutheatertheater @ Somewhere along the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh, PA
Great guerilla gig on top of a large circular cement sewage holder during the golden hour. So many boat punks and dogs.
2) Process Church Sabbath Assembly Ritual, Pete Nolan & Tom Carter, some others @ Matchless Bar, Brooklyn, NY
3) Boadrums 9, Lichens @ Terminal 5 in Manhattan, NY
4) Omar-S @ The Brooklyn Yard in Brooklyn, NY
5) Nona Hendryx, James Hall Worship & Praise, Dirty Projectors @ BAM in Brooklyn, NY
The most un-pro/pro gig this year. Nona Hendryx is genius and completely out of her mind.
6) Mark Lord, Morgan Egg, Throat, John Mannion @ The Red Light District, Far Rockaway, NY
7) USAISAMONSTER, Awesome Color, Juiceboxxx, Eloe Omoe, Tunnel of Love, Bow Ribbons, Jason Crumer, Animental, Hot Box, Buck Gooter, dj Dre Skull, dj Shades @ Market Hotel, Brooklyn, NY
8) Tamio Shiraishi @ Random subway stop in LIC, Queens, NY
Max Burke | Writer: Prefixmag.com
1) Leonard Cohen - Radio City Music Hall
2) Throbbing Gristle, Emeralds - Brooklyn Masonic Temple
3) Bonnie Prince Billy, Lightning Dust - The Apollo Theater
4) Pete Stampfel, Dr. Ragtime & His Pals, Mountainhood, MV EE, Quad (Samara Lubelski, Helen Rush, P.G. Six, Bob Bannister), Jana Hunter - Market Hotel (Arthur Magazine Benefit)
5) Meg Baird, James Blackshaw, Metal Mountains - Issue Project Room
6) Wolfgang Voigt (GAS) - Miller Theater, Columbia University
7) The Drones, The Feelies, Dirty Three w/ Nick Cave, Suicide, Panda Bear, David Cross, Eugene Mirman, The Jesus Lizard - Kutsher's, Catskills (All Tomorrows Parties Day One)
8) Rhys Chatham's Crimson Grail for 200 Electric Guitars - Damrosch Park, Lincoln Center
9) Real Estate, The Beets, The Great Excape, German Measles, The Fresh & Onlys, Brilliant Colors, Ganglians, Dum Dum Girls, Woods, Kurt Vile, Thee Oh Sees - Broadway Backyard (Woodist/Captured Tracks Fest Day Two)
10) Yellow Tears, Matin, Sons of God, Blank Dogs, Pedestrian Deposit, C. Spencer Yeh/Rafael Toral, Bardo Pond, Sonic Youth (Gordon/Moore/Shelley) + Bill Nace - Music Hall of Williamsburg (No Fun Fest Day Two)
Torsten Meyer | (((unartig))))
1) Lee Scratch Perry at The Yard
2) Paint It Black at 538 Johnson Ave
3) From Bacteria to Boys at Death By Audio
4) Excepter at Death By Audio
5) Health at Market Hotel
6) Jen Shyu at Jazz Gallery
7) Extra Life at Death By Audio
8) Pianos Become The Teeth at Lit Lounge
9) Grass Widow at Market Hotel
10) Murphys Law boat cruise on the Half Moon
Simon Dasher | actor
a) An Evening of Bluegrass and Banjo with Steve Martin & Ralph Stanley @ Carnegie Hall NYC 10/04
b) Dinosaur Jr. and Mike Watt at the MOON in Tallahassee, FLA 4/23
c) Sonic Youth 7/13 @ the Variety Playhouse ATLANTA.
d) Phish 12/4 MADISON SQUARE GARDEN-NYC
e) Banjo Jim's 2nd Annual Banjo Festival featuring Andy Cartoun 11/18 NYC
f) Big Daddy Kane 8/8/09 Prospect Park Bandshell, Brooklyn
g) No Neck Blues Band 11/8 Knitting Factory, Brooklyn
h) Pedestrian Deposit 5/16 NO FUN FEST in Brooklyn
i) Dark Meat July 4th Lake Blackshear, GA Riverpalooza
j) Live piano accompaniment to Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times @ MOMA NYC
Geoffrey Himes | Paste, Washington Post, Baltimore City Paper, Fretboard Journal, sonicboomers.com,
1. James McMurtry & the Heartless Bastards at the Continental Club (Austin, TX, March 21)
2. Bill Frisell's 858 Quartet at the Rams Head Tavern (Annapolis, MD, May 19)
3. Jon Dee Graham & the Fighting Cocks at the Continental Club (Austin, TX, March 21)
4. The Alejandro Escovedo Orchestra at Jo's Parking Lot (Austin, TX, March 20)
5. Jamey Johnson at the Birchmere (Alexandria, VA, May 14)
6. Taylor Swift at the Merriweather Post Pavilion (Columbia, MD, June 11)
7. Buddy Miller at the Cannery Ballroom (Nashville, TN, September 19)
8. Neil Young at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (New Orleans, LA, May 3)
9. Bruce Sprinsteen & the E Street Band at the First Mariner Arena (Baltimore, MD, November
10. Anthony Hamilton at the Pier Six Concert Pavilion (Baltimore, MD, June 21)
best live experience 2009? MV & EE
Brendan Kelly | www.myspace.com/extrosubatomicillumination (it's wierd analog music.)
all show's were attended in philadelphia, pa
1) mum w/ sing fang bous
2) animal collective's spring tour
3) sufjan stevens w/ cryptacize
4) that basement show i went to last weekend with airports and suckerpunch
5) the party i played on halloween cause it was bangin
Jamie Granato | Group Tightener / Men & Women
1) Black Dice at ATP or Le Pouisson Rouge (tie!)
2) Mika Miko at Capitol Hill Block Party
3) Wavves at Bowery Ballroom
4) Lightning Bolt at the outdoor stage behind Market Hotel
5) Real Estate at Public Assembly
6) Growing at Death By Audio
7) Ducktails at Monster Island Group Tigthener showcase
8) Gary War at Cake Shop
9) Dum Dum Girls at Bruar Falls
10) Gun Outfit at SXSW
Chuck Bettis | www.chuckbettis.com
2/17/09 Richard Foreman/John Zorn "Astronome" (long time friends make magick!) @ Ontological Theatre...NYC
3/14/09 Mick Barr w/ Bjork DJing (Mick played on sprial stairs after Bjork DJ session) @ Housing Works ...NYC
4/1/09 Throbbing Gristle (they still got it!!!) @ Masonic Hall...Brooklyn, NY
5/17/09 Pita/Marcus Schmickler (bright light jam during No Fun) @ Music Hall Of Williamsburg...Brooklyn, NY
5/30/09 Secret Chiefs 3 (saw 3 layers, i mean costume changes) @ Music Hall Of Williamsburg....Brooklyn, NY
9/9/09 Boredoms (nine drums with one of the drummers being carried around!!!) @ Terminal 5...NYC
9/22/09 Daniel Higgs during OTO festival (who's your shaman now?) @ Santos Party House...NYC
10/6/09 Ikue Mori/Sylvie Courvosier/Evan Parker (Ikue & Sylvie are a killer combo!!!) @ The Stone...NYC
10/30/09 Francis Dhomount (his b'day & 2nd gig in NY in 20 years) @ Issue Project Room ....Brooklyn, NY
11/23/09 Melt Banana Lite (blowing away the regular Melt Banana) @ Bowery Ballroom...NYC
Ray Concepcion | http://www.vimeo.com/rayconcepcion:
1)cult of youth, kyfe hyts 81, georgiana starlington, k-holes, golden triangle @ monster island block party
2)the so so glos, smith westerns, titus andronicus @ monster island basement
3)daily void, birds of maya, kurt vile @ the silent barn
4)morrissey @ wellmont theatre
5)real estate, woods @ market hotel
6)marissa nadler @ union hall
7)abe vigoda @ cake shop
8)tuneyards, sharon van etten, motel motel, drink up buttercup @ trophy bar (northside fest)
9)the walkmen, high places @ guggenheim museum
10)mountain man @ monkeytown (cmj)
John Reeves | lawrence KS
I didn't get out much this year.
I missed Jack Rose in August in Lawrence KS. He didn't show due to some auto problems. Recent events make me wish I woulda driven to St Louis to have seen him play once before he left this place.
I met Jandek, but I didn't see Jandek perform.
2) Vampire Hands
2) Charlie Parr
3) Karl Blau
4) MV & EE
Paul Costuros | Death Sentence: Panda!
10: Foot Village - are very very very good. I very like them live very much.
9: Warm Streams - wish I could have seen them more, fatastical to see Joshua Plague back on the pipes!
8: T.I.T.S. - The only group doing anything like they are doing which is says a lot.
7: Bastard Noise - Great to see them back in action with a semi-MITB lineup. Looking forward to their new stuff!
6: Piles - Really truly their own thing, super strange and interesting style vocalist and heavy Moogham!
5: Les Trucs - German goofballs that play all analog style fuckered up dance anthems complete with JETPACKS!
4: No Babies - Finally a new young band doing something fun, interesting, challenging and fucked up. These guys are my new favorites!
3: Burmese - Again, the most brutal live band around. Sonically Visually Everally.
2: Bronze - Simply put, the only band going doing something different without sounding desperate to sound different. Incredible live and constantly in reinvention mode.
1: Mayyors - Best new live band! It's great to finally see a band putting a different stamp on the run down tired old 'garage' revival that bores me to tears.
anna copa cabanna
nick lowe solo acoustic was that this year?
hottt noise show in a basement i dont remember band names
and an exceptional dance party in brooklyn somewhere
darryl norsen | saucony + artist
1. bonnie prince billy @ the apollo, may 2009
2. strange boys @ sxsw/beauty bar, march 2009
3. yo la tengo & loads of free beer @ pitchfork, july 2009
4. tortoise & loads of free beer @ pitchfork, july 2009
5. black lips/circle jerks @ sxsw/mess w/ texas, march 2009
6. akron/family @ sxsw/mess w/ texas, march 2009
7. grizzly bear @ pitchfork, july 2009
8. yo la tengo @ wilbur theatre, sept 2009
9. flaming lips vagina birth @ pitchfork, july 2009
10. kurt vile/powell st. john & endless boogie @ sxsw/music gym, march 2009
George Chen | Alternative Tentacles, Zum, KIT, Common Eider King Eider, Chen Santa Maria
1) Rhys Chatham's A Crimson Grail, Lincoln Center, NY Aug 8th
I was one of 200 guitarists so it's kind of a biased pick, but it's not like I WROTE the thing. And my location was probably not even as rad as being smack dab in the middle of the throng. Can't speak for other audience members but from pure critical mass it was the most memorable music experience (performing or playing) I partook in this year.
2) Vic Chesnutt at Great American Music Hall, San Francisco Nov 30th
I had only listened inattentively to North Star Deserter and hadn't heard the new one at all, but I knew that I should go to this show. I was right - never seen him before, but with Thee Silver Mt Zion players and Guy Picciotto, it was pretty intense and beautiful.
3) Dan Higgs, Bill Nace at Huffin House, Oakland April 15th
This was a weird night in Oakland - drove down Telegraph and on one side of the street Leonard Cohen was playing and almost directly across Green Day was playing a "secret" show. But this was the true secret show that night.
4) Blue Sabbath Black Fiji at Fort Gallery, Oakland May 28th
These two rule hard. Had played with them at a way more sedate show earlier in the week. This was supposed to be an outside generator show with No Babies in West Oakland that got the kibosh before even beginning. Charlie was in full maniac mode, rolling with the audience (of like twenty) and losing his shit
5) Grouper at Totally Intense Fractal Mind Gaze Hut, Oakland April 28th
I feel like I'm being really provincial, repping for the the Oakland warehouse spaces and talking about bands I play with, but that's where the most interesting stuff is happening. This was a pretty big year for Liz, I didn't see her on the Animal Collective tour, but this was one of my favorite sets I'd seen in a while
6) XYX at Mama Buzz, Oakland July 21st
This was one of the more vivid memories of Summer, this two piece from Monterrey, Mexico sweating up the windows in a tiny cafe, kind of the most pleasant surprise for this bass/drums format since, We Quit!
7) Munly and the Lupercalians at Great American Music Hall, San Francisco November 6th
These people are dedicated and theatrically creepy
8) Grandfather Claws at Valentine's, Portland April 27th
This doesn't really even count as music - it's like a weird ritual performance art inspired by pop music with people from Ghost To Falco, Dragging An Ox Through Water, and the Ritter sisters.
9) High Castle, Total Abuse at House Party, Oakland Oct 24th
Anytime people mosh on the ceiling, it's worth filing away in your head
10) Upset the Rhythm Showcase: Foot Village, Death Sentence: Panda, Gowns, Lucky Dragons, The Urxed, KIT, TITS, Former Ghosts at The Lab, San Francisco July 12th
Pete Nolan | Magik Markers/Spectre Folk
favorite live shows.. at least the ones I can remember, in no particular order except for:
number 1... Neil Young in Barcelona at Primavera.. dude brought everything and his kitchen sink out for this one.. and played at his rocking best.. It felt like you were a part of something huge when Neil looked out past 40,000 heads to the horizon of the Mediteranean sea and sang "He came dancing across the water.." over and over again.
Sic Alps .. Eureka.. they were rad in Vancouver onna big stage in the concrete kung fu theater hall too.. but it was extra fun to seem them in an empty scumbag bar rocking like the rulingist bar band you ever saw.
Mouthus.. Silent Barn.. super slaying noise band having a strong grip on their sound and their territory
Flower Traveling Band.. sucked like some kind of washed up cruise ship band for the first three quarters of their set in the basement of Webster Hall.. then got into the Sartori zone and laid it down like extended samurai Black Sabath.. totally killing it.
Endless Boogie.. Glasslands.. they played for fucking ever (one riff) taking it higher and higher with each moment.
Josh Burkett.. Bar New Haven.. definitely the strangest thing I saw this year.. Josh read jokes from a colonial era jokebook while a little remote controlled figurine mooned the audience so you'd know when you heard the punchline hit.. completely incomprehensible.. then played some cool guitar in the style of Josh Burkett
Son of Earth.. record release at Market Hotel.. these guys are one of the tightest bands I've seen.. and all they do is sit there making weird noises.. quietly
Peter Blasser - Gr'Ambacht Mechelen
Peter Fengler - Bruismelk fest Scheldapen Antwerpen
Charlemagne Palestine - Experimental film revival Casino Knokke
Everything, including the security guard - Karneval Im Land Der Cetacean festival Graz
The A Band - Under a pub at the Edinburgh festival
Cotopaxi - Bruismelk fest Scheldapen Antwerpen
Hair Police - Worm Rottedam
Blues Control - Zaal Belgie Hasselt
Mudboy - Zaal Belgie Hasselt
Twig Harper - Gr'Ambacht Mechelen
films: Michael Snow: La region Centrale - OffOff Ghent
Hollis Frampton: Nostalgia - Courtisane Ghent
expo: Notation. Calculation and form in the arts in ZKM Karlsruhe
jens fleischer | die chinesische waescherei
1) BILL ORCUTT & PAUL HESSION | colour out of space
2) LIZ ALLBEE & GEORGE CREMASCHI | zakk bremen
3) YO LA TENGO | markthalle hamburg
4) NATE YOUNG | spedition bremen
5) GROUP DOUEH & OMAR SOULEYMAN | hasselt
6) CIAN NUGENT | zakk bremen
7) SUN ARAW & POCAHAUNTED | west germany
8) DANIEL HIGGS & STELLAR OM SOURCE | zoro leipzig
9) MAHJONGG | astra stube hamburg
10) BLUE SABBATH BLACK FIJI | zakk bremen
Th' Exceptional Child | Golden Sores
1) Antony and the Johnsons- The Vic, Chicago
2) Sudden Oak- Enemy, Chicago
3) Pelt- Jack's wake, Philly
4) Tenses- Empty Bottle, Chicago
5) Hair Police- Mopery, Chicago
6) Burning Star Core- Empty Bottle, Chicago
7) Sonic Youth/White Light- The Vic, Chicago
8) My Bloody Valentine- Aragon, Chicago
9) Anatomy of Habit (1st show)- Empty Bottle, Chicago
10) Locrian- Metal Shaker and Mopery, Chicago
11) My daughter singing Christmas carols- back seat of our station wagon
Peter Cohen | Philadelphia, PA
1) Leonard Cohen @ Academy of Music - Philadelphia
2) Tindersticks @ World Cafe Live - Philadelphia
3) Van Der Graaf Generator @ Montreal Jazz Fest - Montreal
4) Third Man Trio @ Fleisher Ollman Gallery - Philadelphia
5) Ornette Coleman @ Montreal Jazz Fest - Montreal
6) Feelies @ Maxwell's (November show) - Hoboken
7) Vic Chesnutt @ Somerville Theatre - Somerville
8) The Mekons @ The Bell House - Brooklyn
9) Mark Eitzel @ Johnny Brenda's - Philadelphia
10) Raphael Saadiq @ TLA - Philadelphia
Dan Seward | Bunnybrains
1-diane cluck at jean deux books in hudson ny-diane brought her own food in recyclable containers,never complained that her dressing room wasnt warm enough and didnt require any m&m extracting..she held a bunch of possibly grumpy folkfollowers in her hands and heart for 45 mins and they went home full of cake.
2-talk normal,jana hunter,tara jane o neill-i don't make jokes about estrogen anymore so stop reading this if your looking for one.If anybody "won" this evening it was TalkNormal..before they were on th cover of Rolling Stone and expense accounting their beers to Vivendi they were a raw massive snarly robot of fury dragging all th freshman to th dirty floor and leaving them there..awesome...jana and tara remain spooky,spooked and super charming as ever.
3-bunnybrains w meshell ndegeocello-jasons bar-hudson ny-as bad ideas go,asking grammy nominees to jam w an elderly noiserock outfit should stand as one of th worst ones.except when said nominee is looking to flush some demonickry of her own out th pipe.and thats where it lay.like a goldfish fucking Mike Pattons face.awesomeness
4-flaming dragons of middle earth-john doe jr greenfield mass-what happens when a handicap is a strongsuit?flamings Danny Cruz leader and lover,directs and heckles and throws ideas around like an alchemist who makes gold into shit and then back again.With adhoc help from various wesmass citizens the room fills up with horns and guitars and drums and chants and then its all gone.snowflake.on.fire.on.your tongue
5-boredoms at EMPAC-RPI Campus-great show etc etc etc etc etc etc
6-Joe Moore-jasons bar-hudson ny-When the ghost of Mark Lanegans sewing kit decides to take up residency in your throat whats a man to do.The unyoung Moore does th hard thing.Write grreat loner road songs,beer songs,love tracts,and still plays a mean strange spirit filled guitar.Now that he has brushed mortal coils with a recent bout of Lyme disease,his songs have a layer of ether and rot on them that only real life can provide.
7-Coma Club VHS and on Cable Access in Western Mass-Jamie Mohrs trapdoor of analog delight seems to go forward,sideways and backwards in technology,writing and skillsets all at the same time.Less self aware and more AWARE than "real" video art,Mohr crafts tv loveletters to her friends and sidekicks with every episode.CF from Kites in a sub B zombie love story,Jessica Rylan bleeping her hearts in chrome bubbles,Frankie Martin cooking something noone will eat and on and on.The amount of obvious sincerity and craft in each ep.is a great barometer to see how shitty and contrived so much of this genre is.Check your local library or GardenComa on youtube.
josh | mystra
2)paul flaherty solo
3)i hear a new world fest
5)ralph white/thurston moore/ron & andy
8)chris from flesheaters/dredd foole
9)chris cooper/kurt weisman/ruthie
=all from this area(still the best...!)except:
10)syl johnson/notations/renaldo domino-brooklyn
Chris Lazard / Tierra Williams╩| Moment Trigger
1) Sixes / Author & Punisher / The Great Work╩@ Women Of Crenshaw, Los Angeles
2) 4th Of July @ Women Of Crenshaw, Los Angeles
3) White Mice @ The Smell, Los Angeles
4) Deracine / Moment Trigger / Mikki And The Mauses (Tour Finalizer) @ Women Of Crenshaw, Los Angeles
5) Schwule / Brottman N' Short @ Apgar, Oakland
6) Author & Punisher (Outdoors) @ Che Cafe, San Diego
7) "Larry" Bus (Benson's new beast) @ Driving around Hollywood and L.A. while bands RAGED, Los Angeles
8) Bow + Arrow / Vampire Pussy @ Elysian Park, Los Angeles
9) Dreamhouse @ F-House, Echo Park
10) Slime Queen / Bow+Arrow / Moment Trigger @ Halloween, Women Of Crenshaw, Los Angeles
jorgen ramstead ╩| F house los angeles
1) Daniel Higgs at the family bookstore. 04/17
2) Evangalista at the echoplex. 12/17
3) Mulatu Astatke with 15 piece orchestra at the luckman auditorium. cal state los angeles. 02/01
4) Kurt Vile / Meg Baird / Lucky Dragons at the echo curio. 03/16
5) Bonnie Prince Billy / White Magic at the el rey theater. 04/02
6) The Mekons at the echo. 07/27
7) Ezra Buchula / Emily Lacy / Missincinati / Refrigerator / Whitman / John Thill / Stellaluna / Birth! + many others at Higginbotham Park in Claremont. 06/06-07
8) Jad Fair / the Urinals / Mick Farren / Corey Fogel / Tearist at Penny-Ante #3 release party at the Center for the Arts in Eagle Rock. 07/17
9) Bodies of Water at the echo curio. 03/12
10) Silk Flowers / John weise at the echo curio. 03/01
11) Dead Western at the echo curio. 07/19
12) Julliana Barwick / Lucky Dragons at the echo curio. 06/21
13) Cryptacize / Wounded Lion / Missincinati at the echo curio. 06/23
14) Prince Ramma of Ayodhya at the echo curio. 06/29
15) Woods / Best Coast / Garbaj Kaetz / LA Fog at the echo curio. 08/27
16) Pumice / Metal Rouge / Sleepwalkers Local / Greg Muon at the echo curio. 08/30
17) MV & EE / M. Geddes Geregras at the echo curio. 09/30
18) The Moore Brothers at the echo curio. 11/28
19) Franklin Bruno / Wckr Spgt at the echo curio. 11/30
20) Rats / Auto Da Fe / Guthrie & Streb / LA fog at the echo curio. 11/01
21) Mad Gregs / Mooey Mubau / Corey Fogel / the Calder Quartet at the echo curio. 03/??
22) SASSAS 10th Anniversary. A day of free concerts. 8 venues. My favorites were the series of improvised duo performances that moved down an alley in chinatown, each duo playing off the last ending with Wadda Leo smith / Vinny Golia, and the tribute to Rod Poole at Schindler house with Jim McAuley & Nels Cline. 09/12
23) In November I Had the Pleasure of traveling up the west coast with Frank Fairfield. All of his show were great in particular one at a art gallery / crepe shop in Redway California.
24) Former Ghosts / Ariel Pink / Pocahaunted / Tearist ╩Halloween show at Syncronicity Gallery. 11/31
25) Blues Control / Pocahaunted / 60 Watt Kid / Peter Kolovos at Syncronicity Gallery. 11/11
natasha li pickowicz | popcorn youth
1. benoit pioulard, mountains / cave 12, geneva, switzerland
2. hair police, haime / la maroquinerie, paris, france
3. metalux, bill nace, amen dunes / the shop, ithaca, ny
4. tom carter, steve gunn, shawn david mcmillen / lost dog lounge, ithaca, ny
5. blues control, expo 70, brian! / the shop, ithaca, ny
6. mv/ee, heavy aura'd, richie stearns, ben miller, andrew paine /
wildfire, ithaca, ny
7. magik markers, mouthus, american sphinx / lost dog lounge, ithaca, ny
8. sick llama, cotton museum / pantonal cave, ithaca, ny
9. gary war, kurt vile, teengirl fantasy, ducktails, us girls / big
red barn, ithaca, ny
10. alva noto, byetone / redhouse, syracuse, ny
1)Sunn o))) Berghain Berlin
2) Sunn o))) Prater Berlin
3) Sonic Youth Columbiahalle Berlin
4) Starving Weirdos, White Rabbit Berlin
5) Starving Weirdos, Mdme Claude Berlin
6) For Kings and Queens, Mdme Claude Berlin
Michael Henning |The Why Because
1) On Land Festival (unfortunately I could only attend the Sunday show) @ Swedish American Music Hall, San Francisco - Barn Owl performing to film projections by Paul Clipson was the highlight for me, but Grouper, Sun Circle, Christina Carter, and everyone else on the bill were excellent too.
2) Phillip Glass performing Music in 12 Parts @ Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco - It was four hours long, but I didn't mind... went into a trance during the 3rd and 4th hours.
3) Califone playing live along with the film╩ "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers" @ Great American Music Hall, SF - An excellent film superbly soundtracked live...
4) Terry Riley @ Berkeley Art Museum - Up close and personal with the legend, taking us all away with some mystical solo piano journeys and a few duets with son Gyan.
5) Juana Molina @ Le Poisson Rouge, NYC - Still perhaps the queen of looping, her new trio gave her a little more depth and textural variety than her solo performances.
6) Pocahaunted, Sun Araw, and Inca Ore @ Totally Intense Fractal Mindgaze Hut
7) Akron/Family 2 nights in a row at the Hemlock Tavern, San Francisco
These last 3 would have made the list even if The Why Because hadn't shared the bill on each of them... the fact that we did only made them even more sweet:
8) Soft Circle & Teeth Mountain @ The Studio at Webster Hall, NYC
9) tUnE-yArDs & 3 Leafs @ Bluesix, San Francisco
10) Dreamcolour, Warm Climate and Bridgess @ L'Keg Gallery in Los Angeles
Erwin Van looveren | w.ravenveer etc)
1)j jacques berrocal +pauvros +... (i guess eraly 2009 or was that 2008) bxl but anyway amazing
2)cecil taylor + tony oxley, antwerp
3) seeing weasel walter again after more than 5 years
4) meeting nandor nevia
5) Cetacean festival Graz (everoyne played their best shows)
6)playing with the most nervous friend (ludo mich)
7)for the rest not too much that i found was on the same high level as those other shows
8) sitting in the hospital for 6 months was a twisted highlight for sure
9)DJ paniekzaaier and his 6 hour radio show
10) Tyfus realizing he's quite normal
all the crazy and new people in Antwerp and beyond
Guy Blakeslee | The Entrance Band
1) Sonic Youth @ Sloss Furnaces, Birmingham, Alabama
2) Daniel Higgs @ Floristree, Baltimore, Md.
3) The Growlers- every time, Southern California
4) Fool's Gold- every time, Southern California
5) Papa M @ Stronghold, Venice, California
6) Matt Baldwin/Inner Beauty- every time, California
7) Kurt Vile & the Violators @ Spaceland, LA, California
8) Beach House @ Palladium, Hollywood, California
9) Lichens & Ghost @ Spaceland, LA, California
10) Youssoupha Sidibe (senegal) @ Dub Club, LA, California
Brian Turner | WFMU Music Director/Jack Fischer's son-in-law
1. The Axemen at Union Pool 11/09
2. Throbbing Gristle at Le Poisson Rouge
3. Group Doueh, Les Instants Chavires, Paris, 6/09
4. Neil Young/SY back to back at Primavera, Barcelona
5. Mayyors, all over Austin 3/09
6. Mattin @ No Fun Fest
7. Thee OhSees @ Bell House in Brooklyn 4/09
8. Rusted Shut in Austin @ Load show 3/09
9. Melvins at ATP Kutshers, 9/09
10. Prerequisite shout out to WFMU/Aquarius/SXSW w/Absu, Gunslingers, Major Stars & others. WFMU Fest 10/1-3 at Williamsburg Music Hall w/Faust, Teenage Jesus, Sightings, Pissed Jeans, TV Ghost etc. And getting to play in the Rhys Chatham 200 gtr Crimson Grail was a holy hilite of epicness. I still won't take the tuning out and strings off 4 months later. Also a wealth of memorable live action from airwaves (wfmu.org/playlists/BT archived therein for listening) thru '09: Gnaw, Airway, TV Ghost, Axemen, Graveyards, Kurt Vile/Violators, Billy Bao, Pink Noise, Afterparty, Total Abuse, Pulse Emitter, Skullflower, Prince Rama of Ayodhya, the Necks, Puffy Areolas. 2009 killed for live music!
Derek James |The Entrance Band
Top Ten Live Performances of 2009:
1) Master Musicians of Joujouka - UCLA/Santa Monica, CA
2) Ghost - Spaceland/Silverlake, CA
3) Sonic Youth - Sloss Furnace/Birmingham, AL
4) Flower Travelling Band - Smokin Music Lounge/Austin, TX
5) Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti and Gang Gang Dance - The Smell/Los Angeles, CA
6) Dirty Three - Berbati's Pan/Portland, OR
7) Papa M ("Live From a Shark Cage") - The Stronghold/Venice Beach, CA
8) The Growlers and Pocahaunted (*Halloween Show*) - The Bootleg Theater/Echo Park, CA
9) Spectrum - The Great American Music Hall/San Francisco, CA
10) Pentagram - Empty Bottle/Chicago, IL
Brian Schwartz | Bleemusic
1) Leonard Cohen at Red Rocks
2) Fucked Up at The Larimer Lounge in Denver
3) My Bloody Valentine at ATP in Minehead
4) Screaming Females at Music Hall of Williamsburg w/ Dinosaur Jr
5) Delta Spirit and The Wheel at The Boulder Theater in Boulder
6) The Cave Singers and Zach Tipton at The Larimer Lounge in Denver
7) Jenny Lewis at The Fox in Boulder
8) The Duke Spirit at The Bluebird in Denver
9) Kanye West at SXSW
10) KId Cudi at SXSW
Matt Krefting | My Own Damned Self
Herb Diamante - Florence, Albany, Northampton, Portland, Boston.
Corsano/Flower Duo - Boston, Northampton
Richard Thompson - Northampton
Levon Helm - his house.
Noise Nomads - I never don't love him
The Mailman - Mystery Train.
Crespo and Schneiderman - Northampton, Amherst
Bill Nace - Brattleboro
Daniel Higgs - Brattleboro
Dredd Foole -Florence
Ben Hersey - Northampton
Byron Coley - Florence
D Charles Speer mit Helix -Northampton
Pelt - Philly
Jack Rose - Eternity
John Moloney | Sunburned Hand of the Man / MV & EE party with Toast'd Clam
1)The Sound of Pot - Yodspace
2)Flower / Corsano / Heyner - Issue Project Room
3)D Charles Speer - Upper East Side
4)Herb Diamante / Head of Wantastiquet - US tour
5)Puritan Agenda - Nom D' Artiste
6)Black Pus - Williamsburg
7)Thurston Moore / Mats Gufstafson Duo - Glasslands
8)MV & EE - duo - Issue Project Room
9)Keith Connolly (NNCK) - solo set - NYC
10)Bardo Pond - Williamsburg
11)Graveyards - Northampton
12)Sonic Youth - Boston
Tobi Vail | Kill Rock Stars
ok I guess if I say where no one will agree with me because I live in Olympia, but here it goes
1) Zaimph at The Olympia Experimental Music Festival (Northern)
2) Viv Albertine at Part Time Punks Festival (SF)
3) The Raincoats & Explode Into Colors at Holocene (Portland)
4) The Awesomes & Blood Bones & Broken Water at Bike & Bike (Olympia)
5) Stoned at Heart & Underground Railroad To Candyland @ Craig's house (Olympia)
6) White Magic & Sedan @ The Big Room (Olympia)
7) Wolves in the Throne Room-Mt Eerie-Son Skull at The Big Room
8) Nite Jewel at Northern (Olympia)
9) Mecca Normal 25th Anniversary Tour show at Bike & Bike (Olympia)
10) Little Claw at The Big Room (Olympia)
Graveyards at the 11's
Annihilation Time, Judgement, Crude, Midnight, Cock Sparrer, the Cro-Mags, Amebix, No Tolerance, Ai, Hatred Surge @chaos in tejas
Ralph White, Paul Flaherty @ Mystery Train recs
Rorschach in Nyc then Breakdown the next night..
Festival of Endless Grattitude Vt
Sex/Vid, Mind Eraser, Failures, Drunk Driver, Iron Age in Bk
Sqrm @ the doghouse
I Hear a New World festivus
Crystalline Roses, Hartford,Nace,Pak trio, Gustaffson/Moore, Magik Markers in Florence
Jakob Olausson and Sus @ Yod
Chris Corsano, Bastard Noise, Thrones @ NFF
David Benge | Speak n Spell Management
Top Ten Live Performances of 2009 in no particular order!
1) Neil Young - Prima Vera
2) Violent Soho - The Filmore Theatre San Francisco
3) Kid Sam - Meredith Music Festival
4) Sherlocks Daughter - Pianos
5) Patrick Wolf - Prince Of Wales
6) The Horrors - Prima Vera
7) Sufjan Stevens - Music Hall Of Williamsburg
8) The Pixies - Hammerstein Ballroom
9) Frightened Rabbit - Northcote Social Club
10) No Age - San Francisco Bath House - Wellington New Zealand
1) sunn 0))) / Earth @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple 9/22/09
2) The Jesus Lizard @ Irving Plaza 11/16/09 + 11/17/09
3) Lou Barlow + The Missingmen @ Mercury Lounge 10/6/09
4) Bonnie 'Prince' Billy / Old Calf @ Trocadero 5/22/09
5) Tortoise @ The Bell House 5/30/09
6) Woods / Real Estate @ Market Hotel 12/4/09
7) Bill Callahan / Sir Richard Bishop @ Music Hall of Williamsburg 6/14/09
8) Superchunk @ South Street Seaport 7/17/09
9) Dinosaur Jr. @ Summerstage 8/16/09
10) Om / Six Organs of Admittance / Lichens @ Bowery Ballroom 10/13/09
Richie Troughton | You're Smiling Now But We'll All Turn Into Demons
1) Oneida at Primavera Sound, Barcelona - one sweet jam
2) Pocahuanted at Luminaire, London
3) Bo Ningen at Offset, London - unhinged
4) Sun Ra Arkestra at ATP Nightmare Before Christmas - uh, cosmic!
5) Six Organs of Admittance at Free Butt, Brighton
6) Kid Congo Powers and the Pink Monkey Birds at the Engine Room, Brighton
7) Aaron Dilloway at Free Butt, Brighton
8) Oblivia and Ju Suk Reet Meate at Colour Out Of Space, Brighton
9) Brightblack Morning Light at ATP Nightmare Before Christmas - four notes on repeat for an hour at 3am, soooothing
10) Master Musicians of Jajouka + Ornette Coleman at Royal Festival Hall, London
Also fine in 2009: Please (everytime!), Elapse-O (everytime!), Throbbing Gristle (Heaven, London), Spectrum + Notorious Hi-Fi Killers (Free Butt, Brighton), Dead Meadow + Wooden Shjips + Gang Gang Dance (Primavera), Omar Souleyman + Group Doueh (in a church in Brighton), Earth (in another church in Brighton), Roky Erickson (Forum, London)...
Sean Goggins - Lord Jeff the musical band
1 Weirdstock festival, cambridge ma on august 15th
2 Truman Peyote at the Basement, Northampton april 09
3 Thurston Moore, Mats Gustaffson 1/29/09 Florence, MA
4 Julie Marie Byrne @ mohawk place buffalo december 09
5 Sonic Youth/Entrance band in harlem this summer
6 Many Mansions 10/31/09 in burlington, vt
7 Prince Rama, Lord Jeff, Manners, Brian S Ellis in Eugene, OR september 09
8 fashion expo 1990 a few days ago at Nobody's in Buffalo, NY
9 MV and EE / Lord Jeff at glasslands november 25th
10 Phish at deer creek noblesville, in ;^)
1) mission of burma
2) Los campesinos
3) jens lekman
4) my bloody valentine
5) bob mould
7) jane's addiction
8) okkervil river
9) cat power
10) had tix for sb/la (wahhh) hope lee's wrist is better...see you at the wiltern in Jan!
(ps...I've been living off the 9.30 club podcast all year; thank you for doing that)
1)Gang Gang Dance-Dingwalls-The most chaotic party band.
2)Josephine Foster-Cafe Oto-Beautiful, quiet, intense.
3)Marianne Faithfull-Rough Trade-Raspy, wise and funny.
4)Earth-Borderline-Slow and then resoundingly slower.
5)Yoko Ono-RFH-Woke up again, still like no other.
6)Animal Collective-Koko-Rave on.
7)The New Order Tribute Band-Tory Club-New beginnings.
8)Ornette Coleman-RFH-So many ideas going on.
9)Broadcast/Caretaker-Vortex-Spooky audio-visual works
10)C Corsano/Stefan J-Cafe Oto-Unrelenting and pretty exciting.
Jesse Hlebo | http://swillchildren.org
1) Boadrum 88 in LA
2) AIDS Wolf @ Danbro Warehouse on Halloween
3) xBxRx @ The Smell
4) Kurt Vile @ Monster Island Basement
5) AIDS Wolf @ Market Hotel
6) Ty Segall/Thee Oh Sees @ Market Hotel
7) Ty Segall/ Thee Oh Sees @ Death By Audio
8) Pterodactyl @ Market Hotel
9) Drunkdriver @ Monster Island Basement
10) David Scott Stone @ The Smell
Adam Fleischer Swamp Leather dude/all shows are in Columbus,OHio
1) TV Ghost at the Summit
2) Sword Heaven doing their "dancey" set at Oldfield's on High
3) Swamp Leather at Carabar in feb.
ren schofield | form a log
1) bee mask @ hazzard st / philly, pa / january
2) INC sets from: george myers, noise nomads, byron house, ryan jewell, and new flesh / miami, fl / february
3) heini obst @ scheldapen / antwerp, belgium / march
4) aaron dilloway @ vila grijpsheert / den haag, netherlands / march
5) halflings @ hazzard st / philly, pa / april
6) random gear festival @ hazzard st / philly, pa / june
7) FUN @ pifas / philly, pa / june
8) then and than @ bloodfest / tampa, fl / august
9) fyoelk @ voice of the valley / pentress, wv / august
10) henry glover @ the bakery / chicago, il / october
11) copper glove, unicorn hard-on @ the annex / baltimore, md / october
Sarah Lipstate | Noveller
1) The Jesus Lizard - Irving Plaza - 11/16
2) Talk Normal - Bruar Falls - 8/28
3) Thrones - No Fun Fest Brooklyn - 5/15
4) Emeralds - Lygten Station - 9/21
5) Gowns - Cake Shop - 9/11
6) Nate Young - BLA - 9/16
7) Testicle Hazard - No Fun Fest Sweden
8) Wolf Eyes - No Fun Fest Sweden
9) Maja Ratkje - Podium - 6/16
10) Prurient + Kevin Drumm - No Fun Fest Brooklyn - 5/17
Matt | rendit.tumblr.com
1) The Points
3) Will Rast's Funk Ark
4) The Jesus Lizard
5) Ron Carter's Golden Stryker Trio
6) Joel Futterman
7) Mello-D and the Rados
8) True Womanhood
10) Duke Ellington Festival, Washington, DC
Jason | 7Inches Everyday
1)Jack Rose @ Abrons art center; amazing talent, long live JR.
2)Useless Eaters/Box Elders/Jay Reatard @ le poisson rouge; useless
eaters with Jay on bass is a force. Amazing 19 year old. Jay killed as
3)Sufjan Stevens @ Bowery Ballroom; the new material was amazing, the
only time I've seen an audience excuse itself to cry by the bar.
4)Ty Segall @ Death by Audio; everything is even better live.
5)Jeff Novak @ Silent Barn; power-pop-punk redefined.
6)Handsome Furs @ Bowery Ballroom; consistently amazing duo.
7)Nodzzz/Wavves underground lounge; best lineup/venue...see Nodzzz.
8)Ducktails @ Cameo Gallery; Matt Mondanile can do no wrong.
9)Kurt Vile @ Mercury Lounge; he doesn't need anything but an acoustic guitar.
10)Health @ Bowery Ballroom; volume.
Michael Lucio Sternbach | Out Like Lambs/Harmonize Most High:
1) Jack Rose @ the 3rd Degree, Asbury Park, NJ
2) Laura Ortman/Dust Dive Flash @ Eternal Christmas, Brooklyn NY
3) Daniel Higgs @ Verve, Somerville, NJ
4) Matt Lavelle's Manifestation Drama @ the Stone, NYC
5) Spider Bags/The Golden Boys @ Trailer Space, Austin, TX
6) Sun Ra Arkestra @ Vision Festival, NYC
7) Stars Like Fleas @ MOMA, NYC
8) William Parker 4tet + 2 @ Vision Festival, NYC
9) Ras Moshe/Dave Ross/Shayna Dulberger @ Brecht Forum, NYC
10) Megafaun @ Iron Horse, Northampton, MA
Eric Hardiman | Rambutan/Century Plants/Burnt Hills/etc.
1) Boredoms at EMPAC (Troy)
2) Faust at Proctor's (Schenectady)
3) Tom Carter, Steve Gunn, Shawn David McMillen @ Helderberg House
4) Ashtray Navigations @ Helderberg House
5) Family Treasures @ Hampshire College
6) Peaking Lights, Chapels @ Helderberg House
7) Sunburned / Head of Wantastiquet / Herb Diamante @ Helderberg House
8) D. Charles Speer / Wovoka @ Helderberg House
9) Gregg Kowalsky / Ben Bracken @ Albany Sonic Arts Collective
10) Ralph White / Beach Fuzz @ Albany Sonic Arts Collective
christina carter , the starving weirdos, and common eider, king eider @ the swedish american
jacob olausson and sus & jacob @ valentine's
steve gunn @ valentine's
operative @ holocene
the lights @ the doug fir
grouper @ holocene
daniel higgs and bill nace @ the artistery
sun circle @ the wail
heather woods @ valentine's (i think that was this year...)
pete swanson in various places
George W Myers | Western Mass, Etc.
01) International Noise Conference @ Churchills, Miami, FL (God
Willing, Drums Like Machine Guns, Byron House, Mike Taylor Jokes, Rage
In The Cage, Pak, a million more)
02) Cadaver In Drag @ Fact House, Lexington KY
03) Syl Johnson, Notations, Missy D @ Numero Soul Revue. Brooklyn, NY
04) I Hear A New World Fest @ Elevens, Northampton (Id M Theftable /
Noise Nomads Collab, SQRM, Fat Worm Of Error, Keith Fullerton Whitman,
a million more!)
05) Non-Horse, Embarker, Casper Electronics, Matt Weston / Dan
Cashman Duo @ The Elevens, Northampton, ma
06) Peaking Lights, Noise Nomads, Bill Nace / Chris Cooper Duo @ APE
Gallery, Northampton, MA
07) Ga'an and Cooper/Vrysen/Godard @ Media Mansion / Toy Prison,
08) Horse Spirit Penetrates, Tumble Cat Poof Poofy Poof, Ben Miller /
Matt Weston Duo @ Church Boston, MA
09) Corsano / Flower Duo @ Elevens, Northampton, MA
10) Fyoelk, Moemline, Pak, Golden Mold tour / having johan and hannah
11) Weirdstock fest, Boston MA
Begin forwarded message:
From: Rey Diego
Date: December 18, 2009 2:13:15 AM EST
To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: 2009 Ecstatic Peace Live Performance Poll
Rey Diego | Climate Of Hunter/Hexbreaker
1)Sunn O))) - Historic Brookdale Lodge, Santa Cruz, CA
2)Black Mountain - The Crepe Place, Santa Cruz, CA
3)Broadcast (opening for Atlas Sounds) - Great American Music Hall, SF, CA
4)Devo (entire Are We Not Men? album) - Regency Ballroom, SF, CA
5)Flying Lotus/Kode 9 - The Echo, LA, CA
6)The Grails - Fernwood Resort, Big Sur, CA
7)Michigan & Smiley (small stage) - Sierra Nevada Music Fest, Boonsville, CA
8)Pink Mountaintops - The Crepe Place, Santa Cruz, CA
9)Times New Viking - The Crepe Place, Santa Cruz, CA
10)Acid Mothers Temple - The Echo, LA, CA
Stief Marrey | KRAAk
- Fabulous Diamonds, KRAAK festival, Brussels
- Amen Dunes, Bunker, Brussels
- Floris Vanhoof, Ladda, Ghent
- Jacques Beloeil & The Firemen, Witte Zaal, Ghent
- Group Doueh, Worm, Rotterdam
- Ducktails, B50, Ghent
- Reiko Kudo & Band, Ladda, Ghent
- Amolvacy, Les Ateliers Claus, Brussels
- Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Netwerk, Aalst
- Dolphins Into The Future, Casino, Knokke
Ted Lee | Feeding Tube Records
1)AM FRANK - 12.13.09 - DUBIOUS LIFTINGS - GREY MATTER BOOKS - HADLEY, MA
2)Felix Kubin - 11.21.09 - MONTAGUE PHANTOM BRAIN EXCHANGE #22
3)Northampton Wools - MEDIA MANSION - NORTHAMPTON, MA
4)SORD - 9.19.09 - TURNERS FALLS, MA
5)White Limousine and Impatient Truck w/ Special Guest 4.9.09 HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE AMHERST, MA
6)CAVE BEARS - 11.15.09 - JOHN DOE JR. - GREENFIELD, MA
7)BIG KIDS - 9.6.09 - Holyoke, MA
8)Ralph White - 2.27.09 Montague Bookmill
9)Couchie Poochie - 9.5.09 - Brett & Ryan's Place - Easthampton, MA
10)Sam Goldberg - 3.17.09 - MEDIA MANSION - NORTHAMPTON, MA
Les Des Gustor | Cave Bears
Sum Sir Richard Bishop and the Freak of Araby Ensemble at the Rendezvous
f AM Frank at Grey Matter Books
oe Big Kids, Moscow Mule w. D.B. Russell at a punkhouse in Turners Falls
(R) Russian Tsarlag at the Media Mansion
pi Martin Chartrand at Frantasia Festival
* Felix Kubin at the National Spiritual Alliance
c Exusamwa at Grey Matter Books
Yen Liz Tonne at Brain Exchange
o Dr. Eugene Chadbourne at the Book Mill
D Caethua, Quincy Quartz, Lyttle Tykes, Phased Out, White Crime in TF
Ohm Little Women at Mystery Train Records
(c) Northampton Wools at Media Mansion 1.14
Michael Stahl | Unrock, Germany
1) Daniel Higgs @ Unrock
2) Carla Bozulich @ Ruhrtriennale, Germany
3) Samara Lubelski & Kuupuu, Krefeld, Germany
4) Jack Rose, Kulturrampe, Krefeld
Owen Tromans | EP fan
1) Pocahaunted: London Luminaire
David V. D'Andrea | Illustrator / dvdandrea.com
1. Astra / Annie's Social Club, San Francisco / 10-17-09
The most incredible contemporary Progressive Rock band on earth. Absolutely mind blowing performance. Crowd of approx 12 people.
2. 6 Organs of Admittance / Fernwood, Big Sur CA / 8-28-09
A largely acoustic Chasny for 1/2 of the set. Randall Dunn and Master Musicians of Bukkake members join in one by one to build up to an absolute sonic mind melting fusion of Luminous Night songs, ending the set with a 20 minute version of Bar-Nasha.
3. OM / Lichens / Independent, San Francisco / 9-24-09
Om with Robert Lowe (Lichens) as band member and opener. God is Good performed as a whole plus extensive back catalogue. Once in a lifetime experience of Lorraine Rath joining them on stage to play her flute on Meditation is the Practice of Death.
4. Kawabata Makoto / Fall Into Darkness Fest, Portland Oregon / 10-29-09
Kawabata seated with a sort of mini guitar, bow, incredible presence, and no mercy. Beautiful.
5. Pentagram / DNA Lounge, San Francisco / 7-2-09
Reformed Doom Metal legends, or rather Bobby Leibling backed by a killer band of Maryland doomheads. I was so stoked to do the poster for this one.
6. Iron Man / Born Too Late Fest / Bug Jar, Rochester NY / 8-1-09
Al Morris III is the most under rated heavy metal guitar player on earth. Watching him play was akin to bowing at the feet of an underground Iommi.
7. The Sabbath Assembly Band performing original Process Church songs / Mississippi Studios, Portland Oregon / 11-1-09
Jex Thoth, David Christain (No-neck Blues Band) and others perform a full-on jesus freak psych set with satanic call and response and all. So cool. Interspersed with a recreation of a Process Church "mass" and later a q+a with author (and og church leader) Timothy Wyllie. Jex Thoth marry
8. Graveyard / Brookdale Lodge, Brookdale, CA / 7-17-09
Sweden's most incredible stoner/psych/rock band in present day. Descendants of November and brothers of Witchcraft.
9. Grails / Cafe DuNord , San Francisco / 2-19-09
The sound and atmosphere of the sold-out room just ruled it. James Blackshaw as opener made the night even more wonderful.
10. Daniel Higgs / mysterious warehouse in Oakland / 4-15-09
Just the perfect setting for Daniel Higgs. He was particularly into the vibe, just going off. This was part of a tour with Bill Nace, whose
lap-cum-guitar-freakout made the eclectic night even crazier. Inca Ore was also fantastic. Nights like this don't happen too often in Oakland
anymore. I feel so fortunate to have been there.
josh malamy | seattle, wa
2) leonard cohen
3) kurt heasley/lilys
4) pedestrian deposit
5) stereo total
6) rangda (bishop/corsano/chasny)
8) magik markers
9) my bloody valentine
10) phantom orchard
John Elliott | Emeralds
1) VOICE OF THE VALLEY (nautical almanac, fragments, goldberg, skin graft, thursday club, twilight memories...too many to be partic)
2) birds of delay @ the luminaire - london.
3) rehberg + schmickler @ no fun
4) wolf eyes/dylan nyoukis @ no fun sweden
5) moth cock/drainolith @ embassy winter
6) telecult powers / meta comet @ the green house sorority zone - wesleyan university
7) yellow tears @ no fun
8) hair police @ pats in the flats
9) puffy areolas feat. j-guy laughlin solo meltdown destruction rampage @ cool ranch basement
10) new monuments + dr quinn medicine woman @ hessler
Jef Mertens | Taping Policies
(random order except Borbetomagus and Flower - Corsano)
1) Borbetomagus - Instants Chavires, Paris
Last performance of a week long European tour celebrating their 30 years of brain-melting/mindblowing MUSIC.
2) Flower - Corsano duo - Scheld'apen, Antwerp
High energetic performance of this duo completely ON FIRE.
Group Doueh - Kunstencentrum Belgie, Hasselt
Great Psychedelia from the African DESERT
Sir Richard Bishop - Kunstencentrum Belgie, Hasselt
Great performance, great film
Samara Lubelski - Kunstencentrum Belgie, Hasselt
INTIMATE performance, love her voice
Master Musicians Of Bukkake - Scheld'apen, Antwerp
Visual reminder of EARLY Jodorowsky
Kurt Vile - Recyclart, Brussels
Bear Bones, Lay Low - Libertad, Leuven
FEW people, NICE pizza, Great gig
Ducktails - Scheld'apen, Antwerp
Sonic Youth - Ancienne Belgique, Brussels
Thanx for stopping by again
Matt mottel | Affiliation( talibam!)
1) neil young at primavera. Barcelona
2). Karole armitage dance company with rhys chathams drastic classicism - the kitchen, nyc
3) justice yeldham, paris
4) spencer seim. Solo guitar. Portland oregon
5) traditional folk music in bars/streets/prayer chants istanbul, turkey
6). Jon irabagon/moppa elliot/barry altschul the stone nyc
7)sun ra arkestra. Foo fest. Providence
8) gunn/orelans 4tet matchless, brooklyn
9) steve gunn performing sandy bulls music
10) omar souleyman/group doueh . Paris. Instants chavires....
1. Jandek @ NYU 4/23 and @ Issue Project Room 9/6 (with Path of Least Resistance opening)
2. Ashtray Navigations / Flower-Corsano / Jack Callahan @ Elevens (Northampton, MA) 11/3
3. MV + EE / Cursillistas / White Light @ Montague Bookmill (Montague, MA) 6/14
4 Zaika @ Yod (Florence, MA) 7/4
5. Sir Richard Bishop and his Freak of Araby Ensemble / OAXACAN @ Rendezvous (Turners Falls, MA) 6/16
6. it was pretty killer seeing Bardo Pond and Sonic Youth (w/ Nace) back-to-back closing the second night of No Fun (also, Pedestrian Deposit, Yellow Tears, and Toral-Yeh-Tremaine were good, too. The first night, I left the building as soon as Xeno and Oaklander's posturing macho vocals kicked in, and stayed clear of the place until Grey Wolves were scheduled to be off stage)
7. Jow Jow / Slasher Risk / Zebu! / more @ Zebu Haus (Williamsburg, MA) 3/13
8. Servitor @ 11 Union Court (Easthampton, MA) 9/5
9. Eli Keszler / Ashley Paul @ BAR (New Haven, CT) 7/5
10. Sus & Jacob @ Yod (Florence, MA) 6/30
11. Cave Bears @ like, every show - always exhileratingly hilarious
12. Dubious Liftings: Flaming Dragons of Middle Earth / Visitations / Tonne-Kelley-Rawlings / Tarp / more @ Grey Matter Books (Hadley, MA) 12/12-12/13
13. Boston Lamb and Veal / The Epicureans / Baby Jesus Burnout @ Feeding Tube Records (Easthampton, MA) 12/11
14. Layne Garrett @ Grey Matter Books (Hadley, MA) 11/5
15. Ralph White / Paul Flaherty / Gastric Lavage (I bled and shed tears uncontrollably!) @ Mystery Train Records (Amherst, MA) 3/6
Mike Shiflet | Mike Shiflet
1) Aaron Hibbs Hula Hoop Marathon, The Shelf, Columbus, OH (both attempts)
2) Peter Rehberg/Marcus Schmickler: No Fun Fest, Brooklyn, NY
3) Jon Mueller's Physical Changes: Art Damage Lodge, Cincinnati, OH
4) Bill Callahan: Used Kids Records, Columbus, OH
5) Raglani: No Fun Fest, Brooklyn, NY
6) Times New Viking Velvet Underground Tribute: Wexner Center, Columbus, OH
7) Spykes Acoustic Performance: Sklyab, Columbus, OH
8) Beaten Awake: both times I saw them this year
9) Wolf Eyes: Skylab, Columbus, OH
10) James Blackshaw: Wexner Center, Columbus, OH
1) My Bloody Valentine - Primavera Festival, Barcelona
2) Peter Brotzmann - Levontin 7, Tel Aviv
3) The Bad Plus - Primavera Festival, Barcelona
4) Wolfgang Fuchs, Nils Oakland, ZU, Hild Sofie Tafjord - Levontin 7, Tel Aviv
5) Neil Young - Primavera Festival, Barcelona
6) Sonic Youth - Primavera Festival, Barcelona
7) Tall Firs - Levontin 7, Tel Aviv
8) Magik Markers - Levontin 7, Tel Aviv
9) Mudhoney. - Hanger, Tel Aviv
10) Deerhoof - Barbi, Tel Aviv